Space Astronomy Club program for schools in India aim to teach students life skills through the intelligent application of astronomy and space science concepts. Space Clubs have been running successfully since 2001 in over 250 schools of Delhi and NCR.
Apart from Delhi NCR, it is also active in other cities of India as well which includes Chennai, Ludhiana, Meerut and Surat.
The club brings the student closer to the environment through its astronomy based outdoor activities. Space Club’s out of the box activities (like outdoor trips, hands-on activities) inculcate scientific temper & the love for science and astronomy amongst the students. The modules, which are among the best implemented educational science modules in the world, have been developed in-house by our research team.
Students have the opportunity to enroll in the Space Club, which offers certification courses in astronomy and space science education at two levels, Beginners and Intermediate. The courses include outdoor scientific camps, and day and evening observations carried out within and outside the school campus.
The students primarily learn science by observing and analyzing objects around them. The courses teach budding astronomers various skills including – Focusing a telescope on a celestial object, Identifying celestial objects, Identifying directions without aid, Finding local time, astrophotography and many more.
As a Space Club member, the students can:
- Participate in national and International competitions and projects organized by SPACE, NASA, ESA and RSA, ISRO, etc.
- Widen the scope of their education in STEM fields by learning about various concepts of Astronomy such as observing tools like telescopes (Reflector and Refractor), binoculars and astrophotography.
- Interact with astronomers and educators from SPACE.
- Interact with international peers through exchange programs.
- Attend workshops.
- Enjoy hands-on science activities.
- Participate in Outreach events and programmes
- Plan and conduct an exclusive ‘Astronomy Day’, the culmination of all activities learnt during the session, to showcase what students have learnt, to schools and parents.
- Certification – Space Club prepares students for the future by equipping them with the right knowledge and tools to help them follow their dreams. Space honors these students by awarding them an ‘Amateur Astronomer’ certificate after successful completion of the Space Club program.
Space Club Module-1- Fun with the Universe
“Fun with Universe” is the beginner level program for young astronomy enthusiasts. The program is based on basic concepts of astronomy that affects day to day life, nature and surroundings, introduced through hands-on learning techniques.
Salient Features of Space Club Module-1
The Program consists of 24 sessions which are covered in 10 days during the academic year. It includes one evening observation (school ground) and one overnight observation at the SPACE official site.
In this module students learnt about the basics of astronomy, handling the telescope, basics of astrophotography and many more skills.
Space Club Module-2- Exploring the Universe
“Exploring the Universe” is the next step following the Module-1 level, that has been designed keeping in mind the goal to further stimulate the growing young minds who have been exposed to Astronomy concepts during level 1. The activities of Module 2 further trains them with basic space sciences skills, teaches advanced scientific methods and extends their horizons beyond the normal comprehension of curriculum.
Salient features of Space Club Module-2
The Program is designed for the students who have completed Module 1
The Program consists of 26 sessions which are covered in 10 days in the period of 12 months. It includes one evening observation at the school ground, one overnight observation (at the SPACE official site). During the sessions, students construct a model of Jantar Mantar, make their own tracker, learn advance astrophotography and many more activities designed to teach higher level Astronomy skills.
SPACE also uses Astronomy to foster interest towards science in students, by immersing them in hands on activities and giving them opportunities in exciting projects.
During there journey with SPACE, the students also get chances to enhance their skills and show their talent at various platforms in the events conducted by SPACE, through these they can showcase their talent at National as well as International platform.