Inter School Debate Competition, a common platform for the curious students, who like to explore Astronomy and Space Sciences using contemporary methods and interpersonal skills.
SPACE India is organizing this Competition for the associated school students in order to motivate them to overcome stage fear and showcase their talents. Debate is a sport which trains one’s analytical, critical, and quick thinking, persuasive speaking, note-taking, speed reading, and in-depth research. Debate does not only teach a person how to win an argument, but also instructs the person for a great amount of life essential skills.
SPACE India has announced the SPACE Inter School Debate Competition, in which Participants will represent their schools into two groups:
Category I: Standard VI-VIII
Category II: Standard IX-XII
Each school will register 2 students, one is ‘In favor’ and ‘In Against’ in both categories mentioned above. The debate will be held in front of the Panel of Independent Judges, which will be disclosed during the event only.
Read the Guideline documents to register for Chennai, Delhi/NCR and Surat.
SPACE Delhi-NCR conducted ISDC 2018 at Bal Bharati Public School, Gangaram Hospital Marg, Delhi on November 28, 2018.
- Topic for the debate: Do you think that space explorations are worth the cost!
- Total number of schools participated: 31
- The program at Bal Bharati Public School, Gangaram Hospital Marg was inaugurated by L.V. Sehgal, Principal of Bal Bharati Public School, Gangaram Hospital Marg. In his welcome speech he motivated the students to make use of the opportunity provided by SPACE India.
- Judges: Retired Major General Mr. P.K. Saighal, Associate Professor Dr. Geeta Mongia from Bhaskaracharya College of Applied Sciences and Astronomy expert from SPACE India Mr. Tarun Batwal.
- First position: Mr. Yajur Mohan Sharma of Class IX from Sri Venkateshwar International School
- Second position: Ms. Nandini of Class IX from Rukmini Devi Public School, Pitampura
Third Position: Ms. Nitya Malhotra of Class VIII from Amity International School, Sec. 43, Gurugram
In SPACE Delhi-NCR:
SPACE Delhi-NCR conducted ISDC 2017 at Queen’s Valley School, Sector-8, Dwarka on August 23, 2017.
- Topic for the debate: Robots instead of Man for Space Missions!
- Total number of participants: 54
- Name and number of schools involved: 54 (Please find names of all participating schools in annexure A).
- The program at Queen’s Valley School, Sector-8, Dwarka was inaugurated by Dr. M.S. Prasad, Director & HOI, Amity Institute of Space Science & Technology. In his welcome speech he motivated the students to make use of the opportunity provided by SPACE.
- Judges: Dr. M.S. Prasad, Director & HOI, Amity Institute of Space Science & Technology & Mr. C.B. Devgun, President, SPACE Foundation.
- Special Guest: Dr. Mila Mitra, Head, Research and Publications, SPACE-India
- First prize: Dhruv Bhargava of Class VII from Amity International School, Sector-46, Gurugram
- Second prize: Dalisha of Class VIII from Vikas Bharti Public School, Sector-24 Rohini
- Third prize: Paakhi Baranwal of Class VIII from Indraprastha World School, Sector-10, Dwarka
In SPACE Chennai:
SPACE Chennai conducted ISDC St. Johns Public School – Medavakkam, Chennai.
- Topic for the debate:
- Are Astronomy and Astrology Related?
- Are we alone?
- Robots instead of man for space missions
- Human colonization of Mars
- Human Space Flight: More spectacle than science.
- Space debris removal for sustainable space environment
- Competition was inaugurated by Mrs. Shanti Samuel, Principal of St. John’s Public School.
- 67 Students from 11 schools participated in the event.
- Judges: Mr. C. Shanmugam, Senior research fellow, Mr. Binesh Balakrishnan, City Head & Mr. A. Prabhakaran, Educator from SPACE team.
- Category 1:
- First Prize: Sanjana John-Grade 8, St. John’s International Residential School.
- Second Prize: Dhenamuthan-Grade 8, Ryan International School.
- Third Prize: Sajith Deva Reddy-Grade 8, HLC International School.
- Category 2:
- First Prize: Sandeep Solomon-Grade 11, St. John’s Public School.
- Second Prize: Gowri raj Varma-Grade 11, Lalaji Memorial Omega International School.
- Third Prize: Yukthi Rao-Grade 9, Vels Vidyashram Senior Secondary School
- Category 1:
The Competition was conducted in Delhi-NCR
- First Prize: Rosni Srivastava, The Khaitan School, Noida
- Second Prize: Hardik Jain, DPS International School, Saket
- Third Prize:
- Paakhi Baranwal, Indraprastha International School, Dwarka
- Tarannum Sehdeva, Sri Venkateshwara International School, Dwarka
- Sanya Arora, St. Margaret School