SPACE introduces its premier outreach programme,”Kalpana Chawla Space Settlement Design Competition”launched by Captain Sunita Williams, a NASA Astronaut of Indian Origin, with the complete support of Kalpana Chawla’s family. The Competition has been launched for school students with the tremendous inspiration and encouragement received by SPACE from ourformer President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam and Prime Minister of India, Mr. NarendraModi, to popularize Astronomy and Space Science in India, especially among the youth.
Understanding the need for space settlements in the near future as a permanent human habitation off planet Earth, is an assurance and insurance for the survival of human civilization, by developing alternative locations off Earth where humankind could continue in the situation of natural and manmade disasters. The objective behind this competition is:
- To foster innovation & problem solving among the youth
- To broaden the vision of participants towards human habitation in space, its challenges & solutions
- To inspire participants to think big & believe they are the change makers & leaders of tomorrow for not just India but mankind
- To align the participants towards the goals of digital India, Make In India & Technology Development
- To develop & promote STEM Education & Scientific Temperament (ST) Development
- To popularize the cause of Women Empowerment, Girl Child Education & Women in Science.
By participating in Kalpana Chawla Space Settlement Design Competition, students in teams, will address and design a future space settlement with the understanding of all scientific aspects, relevant to the requirements posed for that year.
Mission Challenge for 2016 – Mars Odyssey 2050
This year the challenge is, design a space settlement to be situated on the surface of Mars, the red planet, targeted for the Year 2050. The space settlement must provide a self contained, safe and pleasant living and working environment for 1,000 full-time residents and upto 100 visitors from Earth and other settlements.
|1||Team Registration Opens||—-||15th Sep., 2016|
|2||Registration closing date,||30 Days||15th Oct. 2016|
|3||Initial Submission Round Deadline||20 days||5th Nov. 2016|
|4||Announcement of Selected Teams for Zonal||10 days||15th Nov. 2016|
(Submission of report)
|30 Days||15thDec. 2017|
|6||Presentation at Zonal Level||5 Days||20 -26th Dec. 2017|
|7||Announcement of final teams (Total 10 Teams)||—-||21st Dec. 2017|
|8||National Level Summit (presentation in front of independent Judges)||6th to 8th Jan. 2017|
|9||Result Announcement in the Summit||—-||8th Jan. 2017|
For Complete Details, Level Description and Registration, Visit Our Website: