What Is World Space Week
World Space Week is an international astronomy event held in more than 84 countries all over the world. This event is celebrated from 4th October to 10th October. World Space Week is coordinated by the United Nations with the support of the World Space Week Association (WSWA). The WSWA leads a global team of National Coordinators, who promote the celebration of World Space Week within their own countries.
Goals of World Space Week
- Aware people about astronomy all around the world.
- Demonstrate public support for space programs.
- Organizing competitions for students So they can take part in astronomy activities.
- Outreach Programs.
SPACE India celebrates World Space Week in the month of October, every year with more than 500 exciting programmers through the month with its associated schools and enthusiasts across India, to join in the largest celebration of public space event based on a specific theme. SPACE India encourages everybody to celebrate World Space Week all the way up to the 3rd week of October.
This year the theme of world space week for SPACE India is ‘The Moon- Gateway to the stars’.
This year 2019 we are celebrating 50th anniversary of the Footprint of Human On the moon.
Some Events for World Space Week 2019
- National Astrotoon Competition: SPACE India invited all to join the online National Astrotoon Competition on the theme ‘The Moon- Gateway to the stars’. This competition is open for all the participants throughout the nation. Children from all classes are invited to join the celebration with colors, and paint their imagination on canvas. They are requested to submit their entries directly, without any prior registrations.
- ‘Space and Astronomy Talks – SAT’: SPACE India had organized off-beat discussions on Astronomy and Space Sciences from guests around the world and get to know the latest in the field. The sessions were conducted through Google Hangouts & Live Interactions (Seminars).
- World Student’s Day: To commemorate the Birth Anniversary of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam on 15th October, the UN has declared this day as World Student’s Day. To celebrate this day, conduct the below-mentioned activity on 15th October.
- Satellites from Trash Competition (Model Making): This activity to be conducted for class 5th to 10th of Associated schools only. The students will design satellite using trash easily available to them at their homes.
If you are interested in any of these activities then click here for more information – World Space Week